Sunday, January 30, 2011

Driving Miss Daisy Coming to an End

So I've spent the last half-week here in Dallas. My only true job duty was to drive my sister's kids to school (and one ballet lesson) and pick them up. My mom was also here so her duty was more of the true childcare role and I have to admit that she took the vast vast majority of that role so I had somewhat of a cakewalk. I was able to sleep in. I didn't have to wipe any butts or make any meals. But I did at least give her a bit of a break every day when I played with them and bounced them on the trampoline, or pushed them on the swings. Anyhoo, I am heading back home tomorrow and my real life will be ready and waiting for me.

My backer has decided to let me go and I really can't blame him. I have been a losing/breakeven player since August so paying me to either lose money or breakeven just doesn't make a lot of sense financially. 90% of a negative to a breakeven number is still a loss...

I thought about trying to keep putting my salary deal out there but I have decided that I am just going to bite the bullet and resume playing on my own dime. To be honest even though it definitely adds stress, I am also looking forward to it. I want poker to be my career. And if it is going to be my career then I either need to make money playing the game or I need to find another career. So it is sink or swim time for me, and I am hoping that everyone sees me swimming like Michael Phelps sooner rather than later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I think you should spend some time playing in the semi-local tournament scene in the Reno/Tahoe area. Peppermill, Harvey's, and Grand Sierra all have good tournament series that run several times throughout the year. Local cardrooms like Thunder Valley and Capitol have pretty soft 2/5 games that run regularly.

I know you've been going through a rough patch these past few months and I know what it's like - although I don't know what the pressure of having to pay bills every month from poker is like. But I think you need to change things up a little. Play some live tournaments. Play some cash games. You might find that by looking at the game from a different angle you will see something you've been missing.

- Andy

Memphis MOJO said...

A blogger here: http://www.nsdpoker.com/2011/01/mtt-pros/

and here:
http://www.nsdpoker.com/2011/02/mtt_pros_2/

tells a lot of people not to play online MTTs for a living -- the variance is just too high.

I'm not saying he's right, but you might be interested in reading what he has to say.

Anonymous said...

Good luck chardrian...those of us who subscribe to pokerpwnage know that you have a great poker mind, and it's only a matter till you hit that big score.

Will (aka Teamchina07)