Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Hey new lawyer, have you gotten out of the office lately?

So I was reading my favorite law professor's blog who was momentarily lamenting on missing when she actually had to practice rather than just teach law (and then realizing how happy she is to not have to practice). http://ninacamic.blogspot.com Well I might be actually practicing law, but I haven't had to leave the office once in my month here. Last summer I interned for the Dane County D.A.'s office in the juvenile division. Once the lawyers there realized I wasn't a total idiot they started giving me lots of stuff to do. I got to argue in front of a court commissioner everyday, and I was fortunate enough to actually try 5 cases (most law students are lucky to try one case). And I have to say, I miss the daily action of actually being in a courtroom. Writing briefs is interesting - but I also am feeling like I just go into a hole for 8 hours a day. The fact that all of my cases have been pretty frivolous does not make it any more fun (but maybe a little funny at least). So far all of my cases involve prisoners who are suing this great badger state because their civil liberites have allegedly been violated in one way or another. The best case so far has been a guy who got written up for making a mess after using the drinking fountain to clean himself after he farted while praying (as a Muslim he claims he must remain clean in order to pray). His complaint was the most reasonable one I've had so far... but the way in which he complained was incorrect so he will lose. Anyways, teaching may not involve the actual practice of law - but at least you have contact with other people on a daily basis. At this point I really miss that.

No comments: