Friday, February 18, 2005

Looks more like shuffleboard on ice than chess on ice to me

Ok ok - I know curling is "hot" in Madison. We have had a few well known Olympians from Madison - the speedskating Heidens and volleyballer Jeff Nygaard come to my mind - but I am sure we have also had quite a few Olympic curlers who no one has ever heard of. But no matter how "intellectual" or "demanding" curling truly is - it still looks like shuffleboard on ice to me. http://www.madison.com/tct/sports/general/index.php?ntid=29074&nt_adsect=edit Not that shuffleboard on ice is a bad thing - I just wouldn't consider it a highly demanding sport. To me there are some "sports" that as long as you are willing to put a decent amount of hours into, you would have to become pretty good. They are more of "games" to me than they are "sports." Bowling, poker, darts, and yes shuffleboard on ice would fall into this category as well. This does not mean that I don't think people should play, or even that there probably are honest to god "experts" in each (I am afterall both a bowler and a diehard Hold'em player), but "chess on ice?" Come on. The thought of getting an olympic medal for pushing a big stone down a slab of ice and getting to use those brooms is quite appealing though. Definitely something to put on my "Things I should at least try once list."

No comments: